Contrary to popular belief, it is, in fact, possible to have your water and eat it too! In this article, I will show you 5 very easy ways to do exactly that.
Drinking a glass of water is perhaps still the best way to hydrate your body but it’s not the only one. You could be someone that does not like drinking tap water or cannot be bothered with the cost, inconvenience and harmful environmental consequences of bottled water. It is certainly possible to do something creative like infusing fruit into the water you drink but there is another way.
Did you know there are water-rich fruits and vegetables that do a great job of helping you maintain good hydration in addition to what you already get from drinking water?
In fact, the independent, non-profit scientific organization called IOM (Institute of Medicine) proposes that around 20% of your daily hydration is from food. For most people, this will be from things like soup and yogurt. However, this comes at a cost of adding extra processed calories and sugars to your diet.
There is a relatively painless way to add more water to your diet without all the unwanted extras: load up on fluid-filled fruits and vegetables. This is a win: win. You get a good amount of extra hydration in your diet, with all the benefits of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, but without extra processed calories and saturated fats.
I have compiled a list of 5 of the most water-rich foods around today. Each food item contains at least 91% water when calculated by weight.
1. Watermelon, 91.5% Water Content
Given that it has ‘water’ in its name, it wouldn’t surprise you to know that watermelons are full of it. In fact, watermelons are almost 92% water, making them one of the best thirst quenchers around today. But the best part is that the remaining 8% pulls its weight too by providing you with magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, and A.
2. Strawberries, 92.0% Water Content
Strawberries are some of the most loved fruits around because they are naturally sweet. Its sweetness means it is perfect to snack on but it also turns out that they are very good at hydrating your body too. Having a water content that is 92% water makes them the most hydrating of any berry fruit available. Aside from sweetness and hydration, strawberries are well known for being a source of vitamin C and fiber.
3. Celery, 95.4% Water Content
The humble celery stick has to be amongst some of the most underrated vegetables available today. For the most part, celery is often used as nothing more than a hummus dip or chicken wing garnish. This is a little sad when you consider that celery contains around 95% water. It also provides you with fiber and is a source of vitamin K and potassium. I get it. Celeries are not as nutrient dense as other vegetables, but remember that they aren’t calorie-dense either. This means you can eat them as much as you like without feeling guilty. Besides its crunchy texture and refreshing taste makes it super fun as a snack.
4. Iceberg Lettuce, 95.6% Water Content
Similar to celery sticks, the iceberg lettuce does not provide too much in terms of nutrition. However, it makes up for this by being almost 96% water. OK, so it doesn’t compare to some of the ‘leafy heavy hitters’ like kale and spinach in nutritional terms but it is only 20 calories per serving. This makes it something that is good to eat on occasion with other nutrition-rich foods.
5. Cucumbers, 96.7% Water Content
No matter how you choose to dice or slice them – cucumbers are full of water. They are almost 97% water so one of the closest things to actually drinking plain water. But unlike plain water cucumbers nourish you with iron, vitamin K, and B6.
How much water should I be drinking anyway?
The exact amount of water you should drink each day depends on your weight, height, the level of physical activity and what type of climate you are in. However, a useful rule of thumb comes from the IoM who recommend 3.7 liters of water a day for adult men, while adult women should consume 2.7 liters. This is applicable to adults who are generally healthy, live a sedentary lifestyle in a temperate climate.
The foods rich in water and nutrients that I described in this article are just a few ways that you can use to help meet your daily hydration needs.
Luke is a blogger and the owner of MrWaterGeek.com. His passion is to help you take control of your health and well-being by understanding the true importance of proper hydration. Start by learning how to calculate the right amount of water you should drink each day.